In Babel, a tragic incident involving an American couple in Morocco sparks a chain of events for four families in different countries throughout the world. In the struggle to overcome isolation, fear, and displacement, each character discovers that it is family that ultimately provides solace. In the remote sands of the Moroccan desert, a rifle shot rings out detonating a chain of events that will link an American tourist couples frantic struggle to survive, two Moroccan boys involved in an accidental crime, a nanny illegally crossing into Mexico with two American children and a Japanese teen rebel whose father is sought by the police in Tokyo. Separated by clashing cultures and sprawling distances, each of these four disparate groups of people are nevertheless hurtling towards a shared destiny of isolation and grief.
- Year: 2006
- Country: France, Mexico, United States of America
- Genre: Drama
- Studio: Anonymous Content, Central Films, Zeta Film
- Keyword: daughter, first time, loss of loved one, gun, deaf-mute, san diego, california, ecstasy, nanny, illegal immigration, morocco, drug use, tokyo, japan, bullet wound, multiple storylines, tijuana, incident, non linear
- Director: Alejandro González Iñárritu
- Cast: Brad Pitt, Rinko Kikuchi, Adriana Barraza, Cate Blanchett, Satoshi Nikaido, Said Tarchani